Based in Cape Town, South Africa, this team will be creatively ‘telling the O’live story’ while exploring alternative growth strategies for the company.
Company/Business and Location
O’live Handmade Soaps is a private, family-owned business operated by husband and wife team–Sipho and Zikhona Tefu.
O’live makes natural/botanical skincare products for local markets and retailers- facial and body soaps, body butters, massage candles, marula oils, etc. In addition to the owners, the company employs four additional part time employees. Most of O’live’s ingredients are sourced from local producers. They are committed to creating high quality, natural products and would like to limit their reliance on chemical company suppliers. A key goal for O’live is to seek certification.
Proposed Team Tasks
The O’live team is requesting the SMART team to assist with:
- Market Research Analysis—Benchmark other similar businesses while exploring and identifying new avenues of growth; and
- Communication—Help develop a social media strategy that propels the company to increased exposure and promotion while creating strong linkages with their customer base.
The preferred skills proposed for this project include:
- Good understanding of business (e.g. market analysis, value chains, etc) and development frameworks;
- Research, analytical and writing skills (e.g. publishable case study); and
- Knowledge in fields of business administration and finance, chemistry (particularly cosmetic formulation), marketing, and business law could all be advantageous.
Tentative dates are January 6-16, 2019
Project Advisor: Amanda Enqvist, MM Inc. Affiliate and Cornell/SMART alum based in Cape Town email@example.com
Team Leader: Chad Fletcher – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/olivenatural/