Make a S.M.A.R.T. choice!
Student Multidisciplinary Applied Research Teams
* Wednesday, August 29th from 6 to 7pm in Mann 102
* Wednesday, September 5th from 7:30 to 8:30pm in Warren 175
*Friday, September 7th from 2:30 to 3:30pm in Mann 102
The Student Multidisciplinary Applied Research Teams (SMART) Program is a unique service learning program of the EMP. SMART brings together teams of both graduate and undergraduate students, faculty, and staff from across the university and pairs them with small companies, organizations, and community groups located in developing countries and emerging economies.
SMART teams work to address a specific need identified by their international partner. Students work on well-defined assignments challenging them to apply classroom knowledge and skills in real world international development settings. students contribute technical assistance and analytical support, present their research and analyses, and then return to Cornell to develop publishable case studies and other materials to enrich learning in university classrooms and executive education programs.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Provide students with an innovative service learning experience working with underserved businesses, NGOs, universities, and rural communities in developing countries.
- Offer students a greater understanding of private and public sector led economic development.
- Improve student’s analytical abilities to develop case studies and other academic analyses of emerging markets issues.
- Facilitate learning to work in a multidisciplinary team to conduct problem-solving research in emerging markets.
- Provide technical assistance and analytical support to underserved businesses, NGOs, and communities.
With its internationalization mission, Cornell aims to ensure that international education, research, and engagement are woven into academic life structures that cut across college/department barriers. It encourages international partnerships and engaged learning and research opportunities for students involving meaningful international experiences linked to their curricula. Through the SMART Program, EMP extends this aspiration, provides international service learning and problem solving experiences for Cornell students, and models meaningful engagement with community, government, and emerging markets business partners.
SMART 2019 Projects:
If you have any questions regarding the program, please email Dr. Ndunge Kiiti at email@example.com